Advans group is hiring
Group Chief Operating Officer M/F (HDF_GCOO_1215)
The Advans group is looking for a highly motivated Chief Operating Officer to join its team. This position is a replacement and is based at the Paris office.
The Advans group
The Advans group currently spans ten countries: Cambodia, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Nigeria, Pakistan, Tanzania, Tunisia and Myanmar. Advans institutions serve more than 600,000 clients, for an outstanding loan portfolio of over EUR 500 million and total deposits of EUR 250 million; the group also employs more than 5,000 staff.
Advans was created in 2005 by the French company Horus Development Finance with the backing of major international Development Finance Institutions (BEI, KfW, FMO, ISEA-Groupe AFD, IFC and CDC). Advans’ mission is to build a network of microfinance institutions (MFIs) in developing and emerging countries to cater to the financial needs of micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises, and low-income populations, which have limited or no access to formal banking services.
Role and Responsibilities
The Group Chief Operating Officer reports directly to the CEO of the Advans group. The Group COO is responsible for driving the development of the network’s operations, in a sustainable and responsible manner, in line with the strategy defined by the Board of Directors.
* Driving the development of lending and deposit operations in the Advans group, with the objective of improving outreach (including diversification to new strategic target segments) and customer satisfaction, while maintaining a strong profitability, minimizing operational risks, and applying industry best practices in terms of customer protection.
* Developing and continually improving a set of standard policies, processes and procedures (the "Advans Model"), related to credit, deposits, financial services and IT perations, and making sure that the Advans Model is adequately implemented across the network.
* Ensuring that the Management Information Systems in place can support the development of operations, by providing innovative solutions which are safe, reliable and cost-efficient and adapted to the evolving needs of the business.
* Leading and coordinating grant mobilization efforts with the Investment team at group level.
* Directly supervising two units and one department, representing around 20 staff, focusing on talent development and driving performance.
* Participating actively in the Executive Committee of the group, taking part in strategic discussions and proposing effective and practicable solutions.
* As a key manager of Advans, ensuring the proper representation of the group to third parties when necessary.
* Master’s degree or equivalent in Management, Economics, Banking, Finance or Development.
* 15 to 20 years’ experience, including a minimum of ten years’ experience in senior managerial positions in microfinance institutions or retail banks.
* Significant exposure to developing countries, in multicultural contexts, ideally within organizations or companies with a social mission.
* Fluent English and French.
* Having to face internal and external challenges, the chosen candidate should be able to deal with difficult or sensitive situations, and have strong negotiating and persuasion skills.
* Adaptability and openness to new and different approaches will facilitate the candidate’s integration in the group, as well as good interpersonal and communication skills.
* A sense of priority combined with resilience and the ability to cope in stressful situations are needed so as to manage the large scope of responsibilities attached to the position.
To apply: visit the Job Opportunities (“apply now”) page of www.advansgroup.com.