GIIN Launches the 2020 Annual Impact Investor Survey Report
The GIIN's 2020 Annual Impact Investor Survey is the most comprehensive overview of impact investing market to date. In its 10th edition, the report captures data and insights from 294 of the world’s leading impact investors—the largest group of Annual Survey respondents ever—who collectively manage USD 404 billion of impact investing assets. These respondents, representing an important subset of the broader USD 715 billion global impact investing market, reported on their investment activity during 2019 and their plans for 2020. Respondents, which included e-MFP members, also shared perspectives on market developments over the past decade, and on challenges facing the market going forward.
Given that data collection overlapped with the global coronavirus pandemic, the GIIN invited respondents to share their reflections on the implications of COVID-19 for their work. 122 respondents shared their perspectives on how COVID-19 might affect their allocations and risk assessments.
The report also includes:
- An updated market sizing analysis, which estimates the current market size at USD 715 billion
- Trends analysis of repeat 79 respondents, to show changes and trends over time
- Insight on climate investing, catalytic capital, the evolution of impact measurement and management practices, and policy developments over the past decade
In all, despite challenges and global crises, the impact investing community remains committed to impact investing. Key findings from the 2020 Annual Impact Investor Survey include:
- The impact investing industry remains diverse.
- Impact investing has grown in depth and sophistication over time, in terms of market evolution over the past decade, indicators of market growth over the past decade; investors’ motivations for making impact investments, and growth of realized gross returns and assets over time.
- Impact measurement and management practices have matured but opportunities for refinement remain.
- Impact investors hold a positive outlook for the future, despite headwinds.